Monday, October 10, 2011

The Art of the Ironic Dedication

On reading George Schuyler's dedication to Black No More: Being an Account of the Strange and Wonderful Workings of Science in the Land of the Free, AD 1933-1940 , I found myself wondering just how rare (or common) ironic dedications are:
This book is dedicated to all Caucasians in the great republic who can trace their ancestry back ten generations and confidently assert that there are no Black leaves, twigs, limbs or branches on their family trees.
Can anyone point me to similarly ironic dedications? I'm intrigued, and am wishing I'd discovered this arrow in the writer's quiver long before now.

1 comment:

Nancy Jane Moore said...

I can't think of any off-hand, but I'm having fun coming up with ironic dedications for books that ought to have them. Heller could have dedicated Catch-22 to General Motors, for example. Who would you dedicate The Marq'ssan Cycle to, Timmi? I've got a few ideas ...