Saturday, February 13, 2010

Just When You Thought Political Discourse Couldn't Get Stupider

As I checked for local news this morning on the Austin American-Statesman website, I was confronted with the following headline under the kicker THE TOP STORY:
Education board candidate faces claim he's soft on terror


I had to double check the URL to make sure I hadn't found The Onion instead of the Statesman.

If you click on the link above, you will indeed find that one right wing Republican candidate for state school board (in fact, the incumbent) is accusing his right wing Republican opponent of being soft on terrorism because he once had a law partner who once represented the government of Saudi Arabia. Of course, as this lengthy magazine piece in tomorrow's NY Times makes clear, the Texas State Board of Education routinely makes decisions that any sane person would assume were meant as satire.

Add that to the United States senators who think last week's blizzard means there's no such thing as global warming, and the scuttlebutt that such accusations might mean the end of meaningful climate change legislation, and it's enough to make even an optimist like myself start to wonder if all those science fiction stories showing the collapse of civilization are prescient and not just warnings.

2 comments:

Josh said...

Hey Nancy, how about the many many online comments saying that we have to arm all our universities' faculty in the wake of Amy Bishop's rampage? My Dad asked me, "Doesn't it suggest we should disarm university faculty?" But that's not how the minds of our most vocal citizens work.

Nancy Jane Moore said...

Good point, Josh. I hadn't seen that, but I can't say I'm surprised; by now it's a standard reaction. It's one more reason to appreciate Michael Bishop, who has been very vocal and active on gun control issues ever since his son was killed in the Virginia Tech massacre. There are some people who get it.